Thursday, October 12, 2006

LEAVES!!! (and then a four letter "S" word...)

Leaves

Last weekend AnnaLaura's cousins, Michelle and Alex, spent the night. Saturday afternoon they raked up a big pile of leaves for AnnaLaura to jump into. They jumped, rolled, threw leaves high into the air (and at each other), and every once in while they had to rake the leaves back into a pile. Yep, the whale-pulting crew was back! I am always amazed at how well her cousins treat her. I don't believe that it's that common for two 11 year olds to spend that much time making their 5 year old cousin happy.

Later that night, I woke up to hear rain. Oh dear... I was going to have to spend Sunday cooped up in my house with 3 hyper kids. I groaned... I swear I almost wept (okay, I swore...but quietly). Luckily, I managed to fall back asleep. When I awoke I found the ground to be dry with no signs of any rain. Confused? Look at the ground in the picture below. What I heard was leaves and maple seeds falling. Lots of seeds and leaves. I have never in my life seen that many maple seeds! However, I am very much use to seeing that many leaves...unfortunately.

The kids spent most of the morning running from one side of the house to the other trying to catch "helicopters" (i.e. maple seeds). Back and forth, up and down, they ran and ran and ran. Their heads tilted up, arms stretched out, running around in circles, and no one had to go to the hospital. You know, it's amazing how exhausting it is watching kids run (especially when some of them aren't yours).


Luckily for us, we lured the kids into raking the yard by offering them money. I've never seen someone grab a rake that fast!! After they raked the smaller front yard Mike told them that they could probably make more money by raking the back as well. In the span of 3 hours my entire yard was raked! Of course we were also a bit poorer, but it was worth it (trust me, it would have taken twice as long if we'd done it ourselves while trying to keep track of AnnaLaura*).

The 4 Letter "S" Word

I woke up this morning to see a most frightening sight....SNOW!!!! It's October 12th!!! It can't snow yet!! *whimper* Okay, I hate snow...really hate snow...ask my Mom, she'll tell you. Don't get me wrong, I love to sled, making snowmen are fun...perhaps it's not that I hate snow, but that I hate the cold. I think I'd love snow if I could play in it with 75 degree weather. *sigh* And it's still snowing...and it's going to keep snowing tomorrow. I've heard that it's going to get nice (and by nice I do not mean it will be a decent temperature of high 70s, but perhaps in the 50s instead), but I'll believe it when I see it.

So, tonight I leave you with a wonderful picture.... This is what greeted me this morning as I was getting ready for work. I hope that you've been spared this sight....

*I lie...it would have taken multiple days because we're old and broken and lazy...

No comments: